Friday, April 21, 2006

Kathakali

Only after 28 years of my existence, I could appreciate the grandeur and entertainement of kathakali as an art form. And that too, after living in Kerala for the initial 22 years! I began enjoying kathakali by watching Doordarshan’s Malayalam channel. The channel would air performances with subtitles that helped understand and appreciate the dance better.
I came across this interesting memoir on kathakali today. After reading it, I thought I should list some info (not technical, but sources of info) I have on this magnificent dance form on my blog. I hope it will be useful for novices like me.

Anita Nair’s Mistress is one of the finest books published recently by Indian authors, writing in English. Though there are some research overheads related to kathakali and history of Ceylon, this book walks us through the nuances of rigorous training routines, the details of makeup, performances and stories (especially of Nalan and Damayanti which is juxtaposed with the lead characters, effortlessly). The novel also treats the subject of dilution of the art form, which is currently happening in Kerala and elsewhere in the world– marketed as tourism promotions. I have seen a board near Fort Kochi Junkar jetty, announcing daily kathakali shows for tourists (I am not sure of the authenticity of the organization which runs the show or the quality of these performances.)
In the novel, the protagonist, Koman explains the difference between appreciating a popular art form and a classical art form. I don’t remember the exact words, but the essence was that the more effort you put in understanding and appreciating a classical art form leaves you with more amusement and enjoyment, than the ephemeral pleasures you get from popular art.

I havent got a chance to watch Shaji N Karun’s Vaanaprastham. Though I came across the DVD, I didn’t pick it up as I want to watch this movie on a big screen which would definitely be spectacular! I am still waiting for a film festival, somewhere, to screen this movie.
Adoor Gopalakrishnan, another kathakali connoisseur, might have lost it to Shaji N Karun for making a Feature based on kathakali, as Shaji gave might have given it a shot before him. Adoor would definitely have had a pet feature project on kathakali in his mind. He filmed a documentary on Kalamandalam Gopi (I haven’t watched this one too) and this would a treat for all kathakali enthusiasts. (Also, I read that Pune Film institute has announced a project of releasing all works of Adoor on DVD and we hope that this documentary is also on the list!)

I am listing some of the sources of information on Kathakali, which I have found useful:

Ernakulam Kathakali club is a reputed organization which conducts monthly shows at Ernakulam temple. I wish they had better cooling arrangements for the auditorium and mosquito repellents, especially for the annual shows which runs all night through.They give handouts of the plot printed in English and Malayalam which definitely helps to understand the katha.

Margi, Thiruvananthapuram has released a DVD of a performance of Kalyanasougandhikam. It is available in the Music Worlds and PlanetMs in India. Or buy online. I own this DVD and is an excellent way to get started - it grows on you as you watch it over and again. They also have DVDs of other dance forms like mohiniyattom and bharathanatyam.

The Kerala Kalamandalam, the prestigious and premier institute for Kathakali and other performing arts, gives info of the campus and syllabus on their website.

PS: The kathakali motif has been abused to a great extend by our tourism department, ad guys - commercials which show kathakali motifs range from Computers to Washing powders!- and priyadarshanesque song and dance sequences in movies. So, I decided not to put the picture of a kathaklai vesham on my blog and I came across this stunning photograph of kathakali students by a National Geographic photographer. I don’t have copy rights of this photo – pls don’t sue me!

5 comments:

the boor said...

lol - priyadarshinique !! :D

that's a lot of amazing info collected mate....

Sarah said...

First of all thank you for the link.
Kathakali is the most abused art in Kerala..It is a money making industry for some people. They serve half baked cookies to westerners and promote Kathakali..
Those days of it being an art, performed with dedication and absolute love for it..is no longer there. besides, the younger generation have no idea what the mudras and bhavams of Kathakali. As someone who studied in Kerala, if it wasn't for my grandmother i would have never learned it.

The pic you gave is so beautiful..I wish I could find when it came in the National geograaphic
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Kathakali is one of the finest art form; it is one among two classic art form of Kerala, other one is Koodiyattam. There were times, this art was played only in Temples in Kerala and artists who participated had a greater dedication and devotion.
Now it has become Commercial, I think now a days Kathakli dancers or make up men are well paid for the movie shootings. I feel sorry when I see those those performers in commercial movies, the downward of a international acclaim art, merely apprised on its make up.

Regards

Hari Nair
harinair@hotmail.com

Biju Thankachan said...

By far the most amazing piece among ur blogs...Lots of interesting info and valuable commentary on the sad state of affairs..

Prashanth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.