Sunday, December 20, 2009

Film reviews

Reviews by two film critics, Jim Emerson of Chicago Sun-Times and Baradwaj Rangan of The Indian Express, pans Avatar. Interestingly, both these critics panned The Dark Knight too, last year. I had my own rant about The Dark Knight, but loved Avatar!

Jim Emerson:
As much as I take delight in the appearance of the Na'vi characters themselves,
the biggest disappointment of "Avatar" for me is the visual design -- a kitschy
mélange of 1970s Roger Dean album covers by day, and Thomas Kincaid "Painter of
Light" Christmas-twinkle scenes by night.
B. Rangan:
Avatar, on the other hand, has no teeth. It feels like a sci-fi story envisioned
by a tree-hugging schoolgirl from the 1980s, who wrote the first draft in
longhand in a pink diary, probably after watching the Billie Jean video on MTV.

1 comment:

Sandhya Menon said...

Ouch. Baradwaj Rangan's getting better these days, though. How anyone can pan Dark Knight I don't know. My first time here. I'll keep coming back.